Thursday, November 18, 2010

Does the Perfect Burger Really Exist?

Does The Perfect Burger Really Exist?
by Daron Anderson

I've been thinking about the question, "Does the perfect burger really exist?," quite a bit lately. I am a Chef, and as much as I can cook something fancy, a burger is in itself a simple food, but it can be so complicated. One of my Culinary Instructors, Chef George, said to us "It takes as much skill to cook a burger as it does to cook a steak." That was one of best lessons I took from school, and a very similar quote from my friend John Russo, (also a Chef), "It takes as much time to cook something that tastes bad as something that tastes good, so you may as well make it taste good while you're at it." I have never forgotten these quotes, as they apply to so many things in the kitchen.

Hamburgers? Why? First, they're one of my favorite foods, and as much as they get a bad wrap, I've always seen them as a fairly balanced food. When you think about it, you get a protein, starch, vegetable, and a fat. I know there are the arguements about fats, and calories, cholesterol, and so on, but that's not what I'm worried about. I believe that anything is fine in moderation, and that one shouldn't worry themselves because they ate a burger. As for burgers, I remember them being in discussions, and I understand the history. For a good description, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger - I think that will suffice for information. So for this perfect burger, I'm still not sure where to look.

Last week, I went with Marissa to the newly opened Fatburger on Lake street (formerly Taco Bell, and Pearls Hawaiian BBQ). I felt cheated. I spent $20 on a mediocre meal. I ordered a Large meal, and did not realize that it was the size of the burger, not the fries and drink. Ok thats fine, but I ordered the fat-fries (commonly known as Steak-Cut). They were cold, soggy, and unsalted. We had driven off, and we both tasted the fries, and they were terrible. We returned and got new fries, (that weren't much better either), and after our stops, we got home to eat. I was angry. I spent $20 for a meal that was substandard. What I was apalled with, is that there were seven people in the kitchen cooking. Seven people cant make a decent burger combined? I'm not going to write them off completely, but it will be a while before I return.

So I'm always looking for the awesome burger. McD's, Jack, Carls, BK, and the other chains usually deliver for the fast-food that they are. Then we have Tommys & In-N-Out, who almost always deliver too. The burger-based restaurants go up in scale, and you get Islands, Red Robin, and Fuddruckers. I could go on about all the various establishments and their burgers, but when you get a good one you know. The same is true for when you get a bad one. There is a built in expectation that you have for that meal, and when it fails to deliver, you end up feeling cheated. And when you think about it, you just spent $15 for a bun, meat, lettuce, and cheese. Watch the price go up when you add extras.

I will say that The Counter Burger, has stepped up a chain burger-based restaurant. Their system of ordering allows for thousands of combinations, so essentially you never would have to order the same burger. The fact that they cook to order and nail it is a major plus. I've had great experiences there, and while it entails spending more money, I've never felt cheated by the experince.

What's interesting with burgers, and any food for that matter, is the individual spin that is put on by each restaurant. Should they be fancy? Plain? Fast? Slow?, and when is too much too much? Is it an 8x8 at In-N-Out? The Triple Decker at Wendy's. Sometime when burgers get too fancy it gets pretentious, just like grilled cheese. I love those sandwiches as well, and I love different cheeses, but when I get a grilled-cheese sandwich, I don't want a humboldt fog & chef's chevre grilled cheese on artisan bread, with wild arugula salad. I want white bread, american or cheddar, and thats it. Funny when you think about that because its not really grilled on the grill. It sounds better then griddled cheese.

I guess it would be impossible to answer if the perfect burger really does exist or not. Maybe the answer is if its perfect for the moment. There will always be a better one, and there will always be a worse one. So the next time you're out, and order a burger, think about it. And if you're doubting the burger quality, don't do it. But - if you ever find the perfect burger, tell me.

daron727@msn.com

go figure, i'll probably end up eating a burger for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. This definitely made me hungry for a burger. As for grilled cheese I love Tillamook Cheddar with a slice of ham. Definitely the best. I'll let you know if I ever find the perfect burger but to each his own is probably the case there.

    ReplyDelete